It’s the season of giving and you don’t need money to give generously. Some of the best gifts are random acts of kindness, inspired by a paying it forward mentality. Showing kindness to others is a simple and easy way to brighten the day of those around you. As an added bonus you are likely to feel happier when people who are happy, too, surround you.
Who among us doesn’t want to feel happier at work? Many of us think of work as WORK, and work is one place we may forget to show kindness to others. It’s far too easy to get caught up in the ever-growing list of tasks that must be accomplished and we can forgo giving at work when we have so much work to do!
Today, I encourage you to start a revolution! Be the person that spreads joy and charity in your place of business. Random acts of kindness can be directed at your co-workers or customers and even yourself!
Here’s 52 ideas to show kindness in the workplace and spread a little cheer!
01. Make a fresh pot of coffee.
02. Clean the microwave (even if it isn’t your mess).
04. Say “thank you” in person.
05. Take a co-worker out to lunch.
06. Give a glowing recommendation.
07. Organize a charity drive in your workplace.
08. Organize a volunteer day.
09. Hold the door open for the person behind you.
10. Make a mental list of all the things you enjoy about your work.
11. Be grateful!
12. Be encouraging.
13. Give a compliment.
15. Ask someone how they are and really listen to the answer.
16. Introduce a colleague to a contact in your professional network.
17. Be nice to someone you dislike.
18. Be a cheerleader for someone else’s idea or project.
19. Tell your boss what you appreciate about them.
21. Ask someone for their opinion and consider their position.
22. Invite a co-worker you don’t normally socialize with to sit with you at lunch.
23. Share praise with a co-worker’s boss and their boss’s boss.
24. Let go of a grudge.
25. Take breaks.
26. Give someone else a break.
27. Donate vacation time to a co-worker in need.
28. Share your expertise.
29. Send flowers to a co-worker.
30. Be a mentor.
31. Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
32. Admit when you’re in the wrong (it helps other people feel better about their mistakes!)
33. Don’t complain.
34. Don’t gossip.
36. Share a uplifting blog post.
37. Tell a joke.
38. Bring in books you loved and pass them on.
39. Be friendly.
40. Forgive someone.
41. Respect others.
42. Say “please” and “thank you”.
43. Start and end meetings on time.
44. Learn something new about someone you work with.
45. Bring in fresh fruits or vegetables to share.
46. Give someone a ride to or from work.
47. Pass on coupons you don’t need.
48. Start a conversation with the delivery person, janitor, or handyman.
49. Congratulate someone on their accomplishments.
50. Create a custom playlist for a co-worker.
51. Share a positive thought.
52. Be responsible for the energy you bring to your workplace.
“Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.” ~Anne Herbert
Sharing kindness at work makes work a little more pleasant for everyone. Be a spirit of kindness in your workplace today!
Join my newsletter and get kindness in your inbox!